News Americas, BROOKLYN, N.Y., Weds. Oct. 1, 2014: Caribbean American Congresswoman Yvette D. Clarke says she is astounded by the massive breaches in security that occurred at the White House last month.
Clarke last night released a statement following the disclosure of multiple security breaches at the White House, into which the Committee on Oversight and Government Regulation started an investigation Tuesday.
Secret Service Director Julia Pierson faced a tough inquiry by lawmakers yesterday as she appeared before a House committee to answer questions about the Sept. 19 White House security breach in which a man with a knife entered the executive mansion. He jumped the fence and ran into the White House, which he entered through an unlocked door. In 2011, a man fired a semiautomatic rifle at the White House, shattering a window into the residence of President Obama and his family. In both instances, the Secret Service did not immediately disclose the full extent to which the security of the White House had been compromised.
“It’s clear that our security plan was not executed properly. I take full responsibility. What happened is unacceptable and it will never happen again,” Pierson told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee in her opening remarks. She said she was committed to a full review and implementing recommended changes.
“ I am deeply concerned about the failure of the Secret Service to fully protect President Obama and his family and their residence from the threat of potentially violent intruders,” said Congresswoman Clarke. “As an engaged member of the Committee on Homeland Security, I will work with my colleagues in the House of Representatives to do a thorough investigation of these security breaches, and to implement all measures required to protect President Obama and his family from harm. We cannot as a nation risk such threats to our Head of State and Commander in Chief.”